Monday, 18 May 2026

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a public health emergency of international concern.

The declaration follows confirmed outbreaks caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus in both countries, with cases now detected across multiple locations, including capital cities. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced the decision after consultations with authorities in the affected nations, saying the outbreak now constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, though it does not yet qualify as a pandemic emergency. The agency said the outbreak in DR Congo’s eastern Ituri province, which has seen around 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths reported, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency. But it warned it could potentially be “a much larger outbreak” than what is currently being detected and reported, with significant risk of local and regional spread. In a statement, the Ugandan government said the patient who died was a Congolese citizen whose body had already been returned to DR Congo. A laboratory has also confirmed an Ebola case in the eastern city of Goma, currently controlled by the M23 rebels, the AFP news agency reported on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF SULEJA/TAFA/GURARA FEDERAL CONSTITUENCY FOR OPENING A NEW CHAPTER OF LEADERSHIP.

We offer our warmest congratulations to Hon. Umar Isah (Baba Jagaba) on his emergence as the flagbearer of the All Progressives Congress ...