Former Super Eagles captain John Mikel Obi praises Victor Osimhen, describing the striker's achievement of being ranked among the world's best footballers as a milestone no Nigerian player before him had reached. Speaking on the Obi One Podcast, Mikel said that while he remains one of Nigeria's most decorated footballers, Osimhen accomplished something he never did by finishing eighth in the Ballon d'Or rankings. Mikel said: "He needs to break my record first. I am still the most successful, decorated football player in the gym. Yes, yes. But, you know, I think, you know, he's obviously, he got an award that I never got. Number eight in the world. Yeah. That is absolutely, absolutely amazing. I must say congratulations. I mean, the season you had, it was fantastic. And I never got to that stage. And this is a different stage. You've raised the level. You've raised the bar so high. And I must say congratulations. And, I mean, how do you, I mean, how do you feel coming number eight in the world? So it was Lionel Messi, Haaland, Kylian Mbappe, and then there was a few others. There's a few others. And you, we, me, JJ, Kanu, never got to that stage. You got to that stage. Congratulations. How do you feel about that?" Responding, Osimhen thanked Mikel for being a role model and source of inspiration, saying: "Thank you. First of all, I have to tell you something, Chris. You know, the man sitting next to you has been a big inspiration for me and aspiring football players. Thank you. He's been a household name. Thank you. I have to give him his flowers. He's been an amazing legend for us, an amazing example on and off the pitch. Do you understand? His life, his character. You know, I'm not just saying this because I'm live with you guys and he's here. I used to say this to every aspiring footballer." Photo credit: Pau Barrena UEFA/Gettyimages, victorosimhen/Instagram
Former Super Eagles captain John Mikel Obi praises Victor Osimhen, describing the striker's achievement of being ranked among the world's best footballers as a milestone no Nigerian player before him had reached.
Speaking on the Obi One Podcast, Mikel said that while he remains one of Nigeria's most decorated footballers, Osimhen accomplished something he never did by finishing eighth in the Ballon d'Or rankings.
Mikel said: "He needs to break my record first. I am still the most successful, decorated football player in the gym. Yes, yes. But, you know, I think, you know, he's obviously, he got an award that I never got. Number eight in the world. Yeah.
That is absolutely, absolutely amazing. I must say congratulations. I mean, the season you had, it was fantastic. And I never got to that stage. And this is a different stage. You've raised the level. You've raised the bar so high. And I must say congratulations.
And, I mean, how do you, I mean, how do you feel coming number eight in the world? So it was Lionel Messi, Haaland, Kylian Mbappe, and then there was a few others. There's a few others. And you, we, me, JJ, Kanu, never got to that stage. You got to that stage. Congratulations. How do you feel about that?"
Responding, Osimhen thanked Mikel for being a role model and source of inspiration, saying:
"Thank you. First of all, I have to tell you something, Chris. You know, the man sitting next to you has been a big inspiration for me and aspiring football players. Thank you.
He's been a household name. Thank you. I have to give him his flowers. He's been an amazing legend for us, an amazing example on and off the pitch. Do you understand? His life, his character. You know, I'm not just saying this because I'm live with you guys and he's here. I used to say this to every aspiring footballer."
Photo credit: Pau Barrena UEFA/Gettyimages, victorosimhen/Instagram

Comments
Post a Comment