In 2015, Dolly Parton wrote and recorded a special song called “My Place in History.” Instead of releasing it to the public, she placed it inside a chestnut “Dream Box” at Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The box was created as a tribute to her uncle and mentor, Bill Owens, who was a chestnut tree conservationist. Dolly filled the box with several meaningful items from her life. Inside are a copy of her 2012 book Dream More, a piece of wood from the porch of her childhood home, handwritten song lyrics, and a letter written to people in the future. She also included a CD player so the song can still be played when the box is finally opened. Dolly wanted the box to remain sealed until January 19, 2046. That date would have been her 100th birthday. She spoke about the unusual plan during an appearance on *The Kelly Clarkson Show* in 2022. Dolly joked about whether she would live to see the day the box was opened. “I don't know if I want to live to be 100 or not. But you never know. I might, and if I do, I'm going to be at that opening,” she said. Dolly passed away on August 25, 2026, at the age of 80. However, the plan for the Dream Box has not changed. The song will remain locked away until January 19, 2046, when the box is scheduled to be opened, regardless of whether Dolly is there to hear it.
In 2015, Dolly Parton wrote and recorded a special song called “My Place in History.” Instead of releasing it to the public, she placed it inside a chestnut “Dream Box” at Dollywood’s DreamMore Resort in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
The box was created as a tribute to her uncle and mentor, Bill Owens, who was a chestnut tree conservationist. Dolly filled the box with several meaningful items from her life.
Inside are a copy of her 2012 book Dream More, a piece of wood from the porch of her childhood home, handwritten song lyrics, and a letter written to people in the future. She also included a CD player so the song can still be played when the box is finally opened.
Dolly wanted the box to remain sealed until January 19, 2046. That date would have been her 100th birthday.
She spoke about the unusual plan during an appearance on *The Kelly Clarkson Show* in 2022. Dolly joked about whether she would live to see the day the box was opened.
“I don't know if I want to live to be 100 or not. But you never know. I might, and if I do, I'm going to be at that opening,” she said.
Dolly passed away on August 25, 2026, at the age of 80. However, the plan for the Dream Box has not changed.
The song will remain locked away until January 19, 2046, when the box is scheduled to be opened, regardless of whether Dolly is there to hear it.

Comments
Post a Comment